Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Have to Wear What?!

So, my sister has convinced me to participate in her upcoming Twist 'n Shout Spring Concert. This is my sister's company and I'm so proud of her and I just couldn't say no. Especially since this number was my idea.

Hey, I'm a Mama Mia fan, what can I say. Loved the movie. Loved the music. So I opened my big mouth and told my sister she HAD to have the Super Trouper number at her next concert. That came back to bite me on my proverbial bottom!

She asked if I'd sing the numbers, oh yeah, she threw in Dancing Queen, with her and another woman. I was worried, but I went ahead and said yes. I haven't sung in public in over 10 years . . . well, I sang with my siblings at my father's funeral, but I'm pretty sure that was it! I was worried about that until I saw the costume! Holy crud! Silver lame (lamay), bell bottoms, oh the horror! Me and my big mouth!

I checked out a few products that are supposed to help you lose weight and decided that it would be better to leave those things alone. Besides, some of them taste really nasty!

Diet and exercise are my bywords for the next five months. I WILL be in shape before I have to wear that costume in public. I will. I will. I will.

So what am I going to do?

Cut out the sweets. All of them. No more cookies. No more cakes. No more pies. And most of all . . . no more Dr. Pepper! Good thing I actually like salads. Vanity, thy name is Candace. Once a week I will allow myself a small treat, but not in excess. Vitamin water and filtered water will be my main drinks with my one glass of milk every night which enables me to have a solid nights rest.

Exercise? Almost all cardio. Treadmill, elliptical, swimming, daily crunchless abs exercises and light weights. I will be working out every day, but lifting weights only 3 times a week. Yes, 5:00 a.m. will begin seeing my face once again. Humiliation creates a lot of incentive. Trust me!

Why have I chosen this path? I've been wanting to get back in shape for a long time. I used to be model beautiful (not anorexic, cocaine snorting thin, but thin and beautiful) . . . and then I got married. (Alvin really hates it when I say that.) Somewhere along my 30's I started to thicken up and put on weight. During events over the last three years I've let my eating and DP habit get out of control. So I'm heading back to the diet and exercise of my 20's and early 30's.

I've had occasion to think about how I used to eat and take care of myself and I realized today, I miss it! I liked feeling strong, healthy and full of energy. I enjoyed looking good in my clothes. That was a good time. I'm getting it back!

So in case you can't remember what those costumes looked like? Picture something along these lines in silver lame (lamay) and no flounces on the sleeves to hide things!



Oh yeah, I will be ever diligent! Wish me luck . . . believe me, I'm going to need it! May 30th is D-Day . . . in other words, that is performance day. Oh boy!

Oh yeah, and you're all invited. Unless you hate me and then really, don't bother. Really.

Purchase tickets by emailing me.

Where: American Leadership Academy
1172 Del Monte Rd
Spanish Fork, Ut

When: May 30th - 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Why: Just for the sheer fun of it, of course!
Who: Twist 'n Shout Performance Company

Update: Tickets for the May 30th Twist 'n Shout concert are now available. Please email me with Twist 'n Shout in the Subject line. I'll respond and we'll work the details out. There are 535 seats, with 500 seats currently available, as the tickets are just now going on sale. Don't wait until the last minute!

What I'm doing right now: Practicing the first four notes of Super Trouper over and over.
What I'm listening to: Super Trouper, natch!

3 comments:

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

You'll be beautiful, Candace! The performance will be wonderful.

The Golfing Librarian said...

Hmmm...my parents live at the mouth of SF canyon. Maybe I'll have to arrange a visit, if for no other reason than to see the fruits of your labors!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Nancy. You rock!

Golfing Librarian, love your name! Definitely, drop by and visit your parents and come see. I personally am having so much fun with the costume, song and dance I don't have the time or inclination to even be nervous. Way cool, I have to admit.